CET Research Briefs
What Are Preadolescent Readers Doing Online? A Survey of Upper Elementary Students' Digital Reading, Writing, and Communication (July 2016) by Amy C. Hutchison, Lindsay Woodward, and Jamie Colwell
This 8-page brief was excerpted from a Reading Research Quarterly article by Hutchison et al.
Recommendations for teachers based on their findings include:
- Provide students opportunities to participate in online activities in which they provide information or create content.
- Provide students with social media experience in school settings.
- Begin instruction in Internet navigation, reading, and writing in earlier grades.
- Help students become informed and critical consumers of online images and videos.
- Encourage girls to see themselves as more capable technology users.
- Use digital technology to get male students more interested in reading.