Research Resources

group working together

Finding Funding for Your Research

The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs provides several resources for funding research:

Additionally, the American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU) Grants Resource Center has several helpful grant-seeking resources. UNI faculty and staff can access the Grant Resource Center (GRC) website from anywhere on campus while logged in with their CatID.

  1. Grant Alerts is a tool for faculty and staff which enables to perform targeted searches applicable to any research interest, including specific topics in education. After indicating your areas of interest, GRC will send funding opportunities in form of notifications as soon as they become available.
  2. GrantSearch: Search this federal and private funding database using six criteria: academic category (e.g., education, health, culture), academic subject, activity, funding sponsor, deadline, and keywords.
  3. Several newsletters compiling funding announcements and grant-seeking advice are available in the GRC portal. Learn more and subscribe here.

Doing Your Research

  • Request access to IBM SPSS statistical software through your college’s IT contact. File a request at
  • Statistical Consulting Center: Mark Jacobson helps faculty, staff, and students with statistical software (Excel, Survey Monkey, IBM SPSS, Minitab, etc.), basic statistics, data analysis, and research issues. Contact for an appointment.

Online Surveys

  • UNI has a subscription to employ Qualtrics online survey software. Contact for access and more guidance.

Sharing Your Research

  • Click here to review some options for printing research posters.
  • For downloading standardized UNI PowerPoint templates click here.
  • You can use Google Sites, available through UNI’s Google Apps, to disseminate your project through a website.
  • Researchers can map their findings with ArcGIS. Email John DeGroote at the UNI GeoTREE Center for more details.

Travel Grants

  • UNI departments can provide funds, sometimes augmented by a college, to reimburse travel expenses. You can work with the department secretary to process travel reimbursement requests. For more details about this guideline click here.